OVERVIEW: The Osbourne’s TV show premiered on MTV in 2001 as a vehicle to spotlight the family’s (Ozzy, Sharon, Jack & Kelly) unique lifestyle and as a re-branding opportunity for Ozzy. The show was an instant hit around the world and was a groundbreaking television experience that propelled the concept of reality TV as an innovative new format. With the family’s success came unique challenges of how best to harness their newfound stardom into long term careers. In regards to Ozzy, the challenge was to maintain his image as the ‘Prince of Darkness’ and founding member of Black Sabbath while exposing his home life as a lovable, caring family man - all without alienating his long-term fans or new fans. This project had many components in varying areas including music, television, books, and product placement.
STRATEGY: Based on the Ozzy’s iconic status in music and the show’s mass popularity, we decided to focus on high visibility media and branding targets only. It was a well played strategy as the results far surpassed expectations and feed into the desired end result of establishing the Osbourne’s - Ozzy, Sharon, Jack and Kelly into international superstars and pop icons.
RESULTS - Here are the highlights:
- Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame - Developed and spearheaded the campaign for Ozzy to get a Star on the world famous Hollywood Walk of Fame. You can see his Star in front of Ripley’s Believe It or Not (pun intended)
- Cover of Rolling Stone Magazine - His first cover after a 35-year career as front man of Black Sabbath.
- Media exposure in non-music publications exposed Ozzy and his music to millions of new fans increasing record sales, concert and OZZFest ticket demands (sold-out tours), new branding opportunities — all adding to a resurgence of his solo music career and that of Black Sabbath.
For the Osbourne’s:
- 2 Covers of People Magazine
- 1 People Magazine Cover for Sharon Osbourne as well as inclusion as one of People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People
- 2 Barbara Walters Prime Time Specials
- American Music Awards - The Osbourne’s hosted the telecast in 2002
- Multiple primetime TV interviews with Larry King, Katie Couric, Maria Shriver
- Late Night TV appearances and performances on The Tonight Show, The Late Show with David Letterman, Conan O’ Brien
- Morning Show appearances and performances on Good Morning American and The Today Show
- Coordinated appearance at the White House Correspondence Dinner
- Magazine Covers - Rolling Stone (1 Ozzy / 1 Osbourne Family), 2 Covers of Entertainment Weekly, Revolver Magazine, Blender Magazine, US Weekly, TV Guide, Interview Magazine, and too many more to list.
- Branding opportunities with MAC Cosmetics, Pepsi Cola, The Emmy’s, to name a few.
- Launched Sharon Osbourne’s talk show on for Telepictures TV in 2003 where I served as Consulting Producer.
- Handled PR for OZZfest 2001/2002/2003
- Album launch for Kelly Osbourne’s self-titled album
- Launched Sharon Obourne’s Cancer Foundation